Sunday, December 2, 2018

Dorothy May Scott Part 1



Dorothy May Scott, born 1929, died 1996, New Hampshire.  

Part 1, 1920s.


========================================================

Introduction


Dorothy May Scott is my husband's aunt, the sister to his father.  This has been a challenging person to research for two reasons.  First, I have a name of Coons on one document, and on another is the last name of Bell.  I will go over these two anomalies when we get there.  Actually, there are more than two reasons.  Again, I'll point out the difficultues as we get to them.




Norm has several stories he'd heard about her.  The one that haunts him to this day is when he very first knew that his father had a sister at all.  She'd contacted Norm Sr, explaining that she was very ill, and dying, and wanted him to take her large number of children in.  He couldn't, and my husband always wondered what happened to them.  He really feels as if his father abandoned those kids.  They would be in their 60s or so.

The other story is of the time when my husband's dad and his sisters were put into orphanages.  Both parents were still alive, but this would have been just after the Great Depression.  Perhaps the family couldn't keep everyone fed.  Norm Sr. didn't talk much about it, and the information he's given I can't really verify.  Orphanages didn't actually keep records, at least none that I can access.  Perhaps it is an orphanage thing ... or just a New Hampshire thing.  I'll talk about that more, believe you me.

If you are related, and you know additional information, please contact me.  I am always open to suggestions and corrections.




1929, birth

Dorothy Mary Scott was born on 11 October 1929 in Franklin, NH to Cecelia R. Adams Scott age 19, and Chester C. Scott, age 28


Dorothy Mae Scott Kimball Coons French mini pedigree
from Ancestry.com

-----------------------------------------------------

Next post -- 1930s

1 comment:

Adella Grace Scott Scribner Part 9 of 9, 1940s

Adella Grace Scott Scribner ... 1940s 1940 1940 Census, 1 April 1940.  Widowed, living with daughter Gertrude in Franklin, Merrimack ...